Tips for water damage , mold & more
Water and Sewage:
– Regularly check under sinks, and in basements for leaky or loose pipes. Leaky pipes are the number one source for water damage.
– Regularly check the health of your septic system by adding flushable enzymes.
– Ensure that all sink and drain traps remain clean of hair, food and other debris to keep water from backing up.
– Do not pour boiling water or other hot liquids down the sink in an effort to keep in clear. This can damage pipes.
Avoid using Draino or other drain cleaners available at your local grocery store unless you know the age of your pipes. Older pipes may fail or back up when you use these substances.
– Do not try to keep sewage from backing out of the pipes if it is backing up. This can cause your pipes to burst.
– Do not try to thaw frozen pipes on your own. This can cause your pipes to burst
Fire and Smoke
– If you are experiencing or have experienced smoke damage and you are not in danger of being in a fire, open windows to mitigate any lasting damage to your items.
– Only enter spaces with fire and smoke damage with an air ventilation mask to avoid any carbon dioxide inhalation.
– Do not try to save your items in the event of a fire. Vacate the space as quickly as possible.
– Do not try to clean items damaged by fire and smoke with traditional cleaners and polishers. This can cause more damage than having them professionally restored.
– Do not try to repair areas significantly damaged by fire on your own unless you are a trained professional.
– Regularly change the filters in your heating and air conditioning systems to avoid accumulating dust and other particulates.
– Ensure that your heating and air conditioning systems are functioning properly with an annual inspection.
– Do not try to clean ducts on your own with feather dusters or other dusting instruments.
– Do not try to light difficult to reach pilot lights on your own.
– Do not try to turn your heating and air conditioning systems all the way up from zero in order to quickly heat or cool your area. This can damage the unit.
– Fix plumbing leaks and other water problems as soon as possible. Dry all items completely.
– Call a professional lichened mold remediation contractor for any work more then 10 square fit.
– Keep children and pets away from the compromised area.
– Shut off your heating and cooling
– Do not paint or caulk moldy surfaces. Clean up the mold and dry the surfaces before painting. Paint applied over moldy surfaces is likely to peel.
– Do not clean mold with bleach.
– Do not try to remove mold yourself because disturbing the mold could cause it to release it spores which will cause mold growth in other unaffected areas